Welcome to Aberdeen Squash & Racketball Club
Link to Club Championships results and fixtures
Committee update - January 2024
Welcome back to ASRC - we hope that you all had a great festive period and are looking forward to a successful year at ASRC. Over the holidays, the club was busy with a number of events in the function room and the Xmas Doubles fun tournament before Christmas - congratulations to Harry Simpson and Keith Simpson for their victory in the competition.
As we (rather quickly!) move into January, the committee continues to work to make improvements and maintain the club.
Facilities maintenance & upgrades
The roof was repaired in December, but we are at the mercy of the weather and wind direction as to whether we remain watertight for the remainder of the winter. Although the worst of the leaks have been identified and repaired.
- Ladies’ changing room
The upgrade to the ladies’ changing room has nearly been completed with a only a few more pieces of work to be done. Thanks to Danny Selway for undertaking the work.
- Court maintenance
- General upgrade: We have contracted Courtcraft from Manchester to repaint, sand floors and reline Courts 6 & 7 in August of next year (This is the only time they are up in the North East of Scotland). This will greatly enhance the quality of these courts and we will look to get all the courts redone as finances allow.
- Court 6 & 7 heating: We are aware of numerous complaints ‘that it is slightly cool’ in and around courts 6 & 7. This is not a new problem, but there are two fundamental issues which make the available solutions very difficult / expensive. The more astute members will notice that there are no radiators in that area of the club. When the extension was built, radiators were not installed. Another small problem is that the electrical system in the area is not sufficient to support multiple electrical heaters. So we need to look at the possibility of extending the radiator system through to the areas around courts 6 & 7 as well as look to enhance the electrical capacity of the area.
- ASRC grounds
- Car park trees: our neighbours Aberdeen Cricket Club (ACC) have agreed to remove the trees which overhang the access area to the club. It has long been felt that the trees caused a risk to members cars when they are parked on that side of the car park. Also the shedding of the pine needles causes blockage of our drains which leads to flooding of the car park. After discussions with ACC they have agreed to have the trees removed and remove the risk of damage should a tree succumb to high winds.
- Smoking area: A designated smoking area has been setup. ALL VISITORS AND MEMBERS OF THE CLUB HAVE TO USE THE SMOKING AREA. The club are required by law to provide a smoking area and smokers are required by law to use the designated area.
Squash & Racketball
- National League: On January 14th ASRC will be re-entering the National Leagues for the first time in a few years, so come along to the club and see how the Men’s and Ladies teams fare against their counterparts from across Scotland. The match list will be communicated for members to come along and support the ASRC teams.
- Scottish Junior National Championships: In February ASRC will be hosting the Scottish Junior National Championships. This is designated as a Platinum event hosted by Scottish Squash and we’re pleased that ASRC be chosen to host this event on Feb 2nd – 4th
- RASTA 2024: We will also be hosting a RASTA (Racquetball Around Scotland Tournament) in the summer of 2024. Date TBC.
- Club Championships: Entries for the annual Club Championship have closed and the draws have been made. If you have any questions about the club championships contact the club through [email protected] The club championship finals will be held on Saturday of 9th March.
- Spring Break: On the weekend of March 15th/16th will see the return of the Spring Break event being run by Stewart Morrison. Information about the event and the planned entertainment for the event will be displayed around the club and posted on social media.
- Grampian League: Grampian League matches are still ongoing at the club and we would like to thank Craig Thomson for providing the food for these events. The bar team has also been able to provide an offering of soup and sandwiches for some of the events we have held.
- Mini Leagues: Finally, thanks to the great organisation and management of Donald MacDonald we are now have 72 members playing in 14 mini leagues. So if you want to get involved contact Donald at [email protected].
We’re delighted to have Joe Ewen on board to provide coaching to those members feeling the need to upgrade their skills on the court. Joe will be available for individual coaching sessions, but we plan to arrange group sessions for those of similar skill levels. The main goal of the coaching is to attract new players to the game and ultimately new members to the club. More information to follow shortly.
Personalised ASRC sports clothing
You can now purchase a wide range of ASRC-branded squash kit, including warm-up/casual clothing, training and match gear and accessories.
Please visit www.iprosports.co.uk/aberdeen-squash-racketball-club to see our full range and purchase your kit! Here are some hints and tips:
- Most items are available in several colours. You are free to select the colour you prefer, however please note that the ASRC logo may alter very slightly to remain visible against your chosen colour
- Shipping goes direct to your chosen address – we will not hold stock at the club
- There is an option to print your name or initials on tops – simply follow the instructions on the website
As mentioned many times our function suite can be a great source of revenue for the club. Over the last few months use of the space has increased significantly. We have had the room used for everything from Mother & Toddler groups, business meetings, bagpipe practice sessions and our very own quiz nights.
We want to continue the growth in use of the function room so if you or a friend are looking for a West End event space to hold an event please get in touch on [email protected]
Over the course of the year the Bar Team have done an excellent job in keeping the bar, the facilities and function room ticking over. I’m sure you will want to join us in thanking them for all their efforts.
Welcome to Aberdeen Squash & Racketball Club (ASRC), the home of squash and racketball in the city of Aberdeen. We have an exceptional facility, boasting 7 squash courts, and extensive bar and function suite facility as well as a small gym.
The club has monthly internal mini leagues for both squash and racketball (Squash 57), as well as a variety of competitions for members throughout the season. In the off season, the club also hosts internal fun leagues.
For those who take their squash more seriously, ASRC have 9 teams that play in the Regional Grampian Leagues, exhibiting some of the best talent in the Region.
The Car Park and Entrance is situated in the west end of Aberdeen, just off Great Western Road, and can be accessed via Morningside Lane, where there is ample parking for all visitors.
In addition to the above, ASRC also provide a home for Injurytime Physiotherapy (incorp. Aberdeen Sports and Spinal Injury Clinic), who provide physiotherapy services to the general public as well as a discounted rate to all ASRC playing members.
There are a wide range of membership options with Restricted Social Memberships (use of Mannofield Bar) available for as little as £5/annum.